Back

Frontier chateau

Menu
Czech name Hraniční zámeček
Address Hlohovec 16, 691 43 Hlohovec u Břeclavi
GPS 48°46'49"N 16°45'28"E (xx km)
170 m above sea level
swipe

The building on the west side of the Hlohovecky pond was built in 1816-1827. The sign on the facade "Zwischen Österreich und Mähren" reminds us of the fact that its one half was built on the Austrian side and the other on the Moravian side. The frontier at that time went through the middle of one pond. The frontier was moved far south behind Valtice when Valtice became a part of Czechoslovakia in 1920. The chateau was built on pilots and grids because the pond level used to reach it.